There's plenty to see and do in the local area, whether you fancy a gentle meander down the River Thames, a day of thrills at Thorpe Park or maybe a picnic in nearby Windsor Great Park, there's something nearby for everyone. So why not extend your stay and take a few extra days to take in some of what the local area has to offer?
Royal Holloway is located close to the attractive village of Englefield Green, a ten-minute walk from the town of Egham, south west of London. With fast rail connections, it offers great day trips and easy access to both the capital, and some of the UK’s top sporting venues such as Wimbledon and Twickenham. Some great days out include:
- Cycle, run or walk through the varied 4,800 acre landscape of Windsor Great Park. There’s an entrance just minutes away from Royal Holloway.
- Take a short walk to Runnymede where King John sealed the Magna Carta in 1215. Soak up the history, explore the attractive meadows and woodland and relax by the River Thames.
- Peep into the elaborately-decorated state departments at Windsor Castle, one of Queen Elizabeth II’s official residences. Outside, there’s the Great Park, perfect for a brisk winter walk. Or discover your inner child with a trip to Legoland, a short bus ride from Windsor town.
- With its gardens and parks, theatres and galleries and upmarket shops, Richmond is a popular destination for Royal Holloway visitors.
- All the attractions of London are within easy reach and many of the museums and galleries are free. Explore exhibitions at National Gallery, the Science Museum, and Tate Modern among others.
London offers everything for the shopaholic from big glamorous shops to small, highly individual market stalls. Popular markets include Camden Lock and Spitalfields while Borough Market is a paradise for food lovers.